Building your personal brand is an excellent strategy that helps convince people, especially employers, what you can. Through personal branding, you will show people that you are competent and reliable in your chosen field.
Unfortunately, you can’t automatically convince people that they need to choose you to join their team and work in their company. Most employers nowadays are too picky that they end up selecting candidates that really stand out from the crowd. Thus, if you plan to join a competitive industry, you need to find a way to gain an advantage. You need to make sure that you create an excellent impression they can never ignore.
Understanding the Challenge of Pursuing a Career in Singapore
If you plan to pursue a career in Singapore, you need to be aware of how competitive people are in this country. Locals and even ex-pats who get their education in The Lion City display remarkable performance in anything they do. This is probably because schools in Singapore have high standards. Thus, students who graduate from school already gain essential knowledge, skills, and experience, which they can use when pursuing a career. If you are also aiming to pursue a particular job, you need to prove that you have exceptional skills.
Keep in mind that employers get lots of potential candidates for a specific job role. Among these candidates, there will always be those who stand out more compared to others. If you want to succeed in landing the job, you need to ensure that you get recognized by employers. To do this, you need to present them with proof that you can handle all the responsibilities that they need from a candidate. One of the best ways to do this is to build an excellent portfolio and show people that you have a remarkable resume.
Proving Excellence through Your Personal Portfolio
Some people think that as long as they list down all their skills and abilities on their resume, employers will consider hiring them. If you want to apply for a job, you need to understand that the hiring or recruitment process is not easy. Employers have their own standards when picking competent candidates. If you want to convince them that you are the perfect candidate for the role, you need to build an impressive portfolio. Present them with an exceptional resume using the following tactics:
- Find an aesthetically pleasing resume template—First, make sure you find a visually appealing resume template. There are tons of available templates online, and you need to choose one that fits your preferences. Ensure that the design also helps you highlight necessary information such as skill set, work background, etc.
- Highlight skills you want to be known for—You need to understand that some employers base their impression on a candidate based on the first page of their resume. Thus, you need to make sure that you highlight your skills and abilities in the first part of your resume. Highlight the main skill that you believe will help you get hired.
- Focus on your technical first —Before elaborating details about your interpersonal skills, ensure that you list down all your technical skills first. For instance, you can include what particular role you played in past companies. Make sure to mention some details about the responsibilities and the projects you successfully handled in the past. This helps prove your ability to fulfill minor or major roles in a company.
- Prepare proof for your past works—Print some pictures of your past works. For instance, if you are a graphic designer, present your creative portfolio to the employer. If you are a photographer, you can highlight your skills by presenting them with your professional photographs. The goal here is to make sure you have something to present to the employer so that you can have something to back your claims about your skills.
- Highlight your on-the-job training experiences—Don’t forget to list down all companies you’ve worked with, especially if they are popular brands. Include your training as well, including your experience about taking SSG-supported courses. Doing so can help you convince employers that you will be a valuable asset to their company.
Even if you already have an excellent work background, you need to continue gaining new knowledge and skills. Remember that you need to prove that you are always aiming to improve yourself, especially in performing your tasks at work. With this, you will continue making an impression that you can learn new things and adapt to modern and innovative tools and strategies. This will not only help you achieve career improvement, but it will also motivate you to fulfill personal development.
If you train yourself to embrace changes and grab new opportunities, you will observe a significant change in your life. The more you learn, the more you gain skills and experience you can use for your daily life.